Monday, November 23, 2015

CMT - Once Upon a Time in the West




There are few hard rules in fiction; even the three act structure isn't always adhered to. While it's true that films are generally around two hours in length, that parameter doesn't work for every final cut. Motion Pictures are constantly shipped, with running times that are much more or less than that average. The fact proves that they're unique enough, to make a greater range of creative decisions.

Though shorter films have their own challenges, I think longer films face greater scrutiny. Every minute that passes with a disinterested audience, will better the chance that the work will be unsuccessful. I often wonder about the well regarded epics, and how they are able to keep their viewers engaged. Regarding this spaghetti western, the answer to that question is apparently more questions.


Classic Movie Trailers - Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)


There is one main disadvantage, that lies at the heart of any new property. Before the story begins, the creators have all the information and viewers have none. For audiences to enjoy what they're watching, they have to understand what's going on. That means filmmakers have to provide a lot of answers.

Just the names of characters can keep people guessing, let alone the intricacies of the plot. So there's a ton of hurdles to get over, in order for everyone to get up to speed. I've often gotten the feeling, while watching a feature, that exposition is dumped on us to get it out of the way. It's like they don't know where to put the information, so they throw it out there at the first opportunity.

Before seeing "Once Upon a Time in the West", I saw the need for explanation as a major challenge. I might even have called it a "necessary evil". Never before had I considered, that critical information could be used as a tool. People want to know the facts desperately, so to keep the interest going, you can hold some of them back.

Sergio Leone and his team, masterfully told us all that was pertinent. All the minute details were cards in the hand, and they dealt them one at a time, at choice moments. In the case of the protagonist, his agenda and motivations were held to the very last second. They were the most intriguing questions and I wanted to know the answers, so I committed to giving the film my full attention. Meanwhile, the plot continued to unfold.

Things like McBain's treasure and the value of his land, became primary concerns. I also wanted to know the meaning of the miniature building set, and whether or not Frank would turn on Morton. I didn't even know Cheyenne's identity, and it took me half the film to figure it out. The most interesting thing about my experience, is that once something was answered, I had another question.

I was riveted. I was captivated, and I never looked at the time. The credits could've rolled an hour later than they did and I would have watched every moment. When it comes down to it, they had something I wanted, and while I waited I enjoyed every scene.

I'm convinced that Leone was never suited for time restraints. As a storyteller, he moved at his own pace. His style was about the tension, as much as the action that followed. I also think that he enjoyed building atmosphere.

Personally, I've always believed that content determines length. If the story is too big for a hundred and twenty minutes, forcing it is a huge mistake. Similarly, if a story only takes an hour, there's no good reason to stretch it out to two. "Once Upon a Time" is almost three and it doesn't feel padded at all.

In fact, it could have been a novel instead; each supporting character has such a rich history. Morton was definitely one of the most interesting, and though his onscreen time was limited, you could tell he'd been fleshed out. All the major players held my interest in some way, so I was more than happy to wait for all to be revealed.

For a creative person, this is more than a movie. "Once Upon a Time in the West" is a lesson. There's a lot of value in the details of a story, and what would be a clumsy mess is clay in deft hands. Sometimes, you have to let the artist work unchained; if Picasso played by the rules we wouldn't know his name today.




Trailer Here.

-----------------------

@ChannelSeals

See "Once Upon a Time in The West" on Netflix!

Next: A "Bye week" (No post on 11/30/15).

December 7th: We resume with "Fantasia".

No comments:

Post a Comment