Monday, November 16, 2015

CMT - High Noon


I won't debate the idea that more guns will keep us safe, but I question the notion that we'd welcome the results. The Old West saw lands with more pistols than lawmen; I suspect there are reasons why we don't pine for their return. Firearms might have simply added more danger, and the key to security may rest with people instead. A well armed population is not a trained militia, and the ability to shoot doesn't give one the will.

You may not agree with those sentiments and that is your right. I'm just glad we have a dedicated police force. This film shows a town unwilling to defend itself, and people that choose fear over plain obligation. I challenge you to regard your neighbors and tell me honestly, if you believe that any one would fight for your safety.


Classic Movie Trailers - High Noon (1952)


The town of Hadleyville was indebted to Will Kane, but looming danger erased that from memory. I wonder about the number of years they enjoyed the peace he worked for. I wonder how many transactions were made during that peace. Yet the time came when he needed the debt repaid, and the entire town offered nothing but excuses.

There was no gratitude. There was no sympathy. There was no courage and above all, there was no loyalty. Whatever sense of honor the town possessed, left far in advance of the twelve o'clock train.

That man fought for their businesses. That man fought for their lives. They owed their homes to Kane and still hung him out to dry. The instant their peace was threatened they wanted no part of it. Had they faced the problem together, there wouldn't have been a problem at all 

Four hoodlums are not going to fight an entire town. Half a dozen men could've had them from the windows. This movie should have been a half hour long. The bad guy should've stepped off the train and stepped straight into leg irons.

Instead they were willing to take a huge chance, with no sheriff at all. If the hoods decided to stick around, I question whether the new hire would have done the same; if so, he definitely picked the wrong place. The townsfolk acknowledged Kane's good service,  but they were willing to let his would-be killers right through the gates. The man was just married, too.

As unbelievably bad as they were, the Sheriff was remarkable. Even with all of their dodging, he accepted the task at hand. I know why Kane fought and the reason was simple; some people don't shirk responsibility. There wasn't much of a future with his wife if he ran; he also would've left the town to a danger coming for him.

I don't blame him for turning back and seeing it through. That town could've fallen to hell by the time law returned. With all those years of prosperity that he worked so hard for, I don't see how he could let it be taken away. As far as I'm concerned though, they would have deserved it.

None of the residents appreciated the lawman, and maybe that's a crime I can charge us with today. We take things for granted and we're quick to forget the costs. Our way of life depends on order which has to be maintained. It's a big and dangerous job that's handled by a few, so the rest of us can live our lives and profit from the system.

I'm part of a minority and I know the fear of injustice. I don't know fear in a lawless state and I recognize that privilege. No organization, of any considerable size, is absolutely free of misconduct; I'm still grateful for the honest public servants, and the good they provide outweigh all the negatives. If you look to your neighbors and see a force to defend and keep the peace, I'll trade and give you these quiet folk behind their bolted doors.




Trailer Here.


-----------------------
@ChannelSeals

See "High Noon" Twelve o'clock  on Netflix!

Next Monday: "Once Upon A Time in the West".

No comments:

Post a Comment