Monday, November 9, 2015

CMT - Barbarella




There are problems with idealism and entertainment. The most prominent issue involves the audience and what they bring to the table. Every viewer sits down with a hefty amount of baggage. We all have histories, political leanings and opinions regarding society as a whole.

The ultimate goal of fiction should be to please everyone. Of course there are financial, legal and moral considerations, but generally, there should be something for each individual. When people complain about lack of representation, they prove there's an audience that isn't being served. The trick is to remember that when movies don't suit you, the film made for someone else isn't at fault.


Classic Movie Trailers  - Barbarella (1968)


I tend to like girls that kick ass. I'm not saying I'd date someone that beats me up, or a woman that could, but I like to see the fairer sex in action. Think of Milla Jovovich in the Resident Evil films; I'm very much about that kind of content. A "damsel in distress" is a snore fest to me, but I can't say the conceit is bad, or even outdated.

In fact, I think the truth is the opposite. There are guys that prefer them and some women agree. I think it's safe to say a fair amount of fantasies, involve a girl in trouble, who then has to be saved. You can roll your eyes but it is a preference, and I've learned to simply accept it.

Barbarella isn't Batgirl or Batman. There's no utility belt on her waist, and if she's surrounded she's going to get captured. Don't expect her to fall back into Kung-Fu stance, and her guns aren't always effective. As cliche as it is, the weapon that always works, is the same one that every woman has.

Feminists may scoff at this movie, but the real objection should be the lack of more alternatives. It's true that women are strong leads in some action films, but I would certainly argue that a lot more are necessary. If you're wondering why that would be the case, the reason is that there's an audience for it. A lot of potential cash is floating around out there, and I doubt Hollywood will claim it if it sticks to "Bond girls".

Does that mean "Barbarella" is wrong? The answer from me, is absolutely not. If you don't like the movie it just isn't for you. In order to work properly, fiction has to find the right audience.

I imagine that her fans like the camp and the adventure, along with the very beautiful sets. There is a story here, but it doesn't seem terribly important. It's more about each scene as an experience, than it is about working towards a goal. Considering it further, I've also concluded, that as a feminist's nightmare, it might attract other women.

Sexuality is a fair amount of the theme, but the movie is suggestive, playful and humorous. When the actress is bound she may appeal to fetishists, but that sentiment isn't overdone. They never cross the line into full blown eroticism, and what kink there is will likely get a chuckle. 

The work that went into the scenery, was matched by Fonda's wardrobe. I'm not an authority on fashion and it isn't a passion of mine, but they keep her looking good and her outfits are appropriate. The character stumbles instead of taking charge of events, but whenever she feints at least it's done in style.

When the film ended, I felt puzzled and divided. The action had been downplayed, the story seemed thin, the heroine wasn't heroic, but I was still entertained. I wouldn't go so far as to recommend it to others, but I think its cult status is well deserved. When you're given the opposite of what you're looking for, it isn't every day that you can still leave satisfied.

I may be unique in seeing both sides of the debate. I could also be cooling a lot with age. Whatever the reason, I don't recoil from different views. I'm also patient enough to wait for significant change.

The lack of female super spies isn't Bond's fault. It's Hollywood's fault in general, but that doesn't fall on one film. If they want to do another Captain Kirk movie, don't demonize them because they didn't pick Janeway. The audience for him is rightfully being served; hopefully, when it's said and done they'll start looking at all of us.




Trailer Here.

----------------------

@ChannelSeals


See "Barbarella" on Netflix!

Next Week: A look at "High Noon".

Wednesday: A Bonus look at "Nightmare on Elm Street 2".

No comments:

Post a Comment