Monday, October 12, 2015

CMT - Rosemary's Baby ('68)





Women face a lot of challenges. Their instincts drive them to become mothers, but choosing the proper father is a daunting task. He has to be able to provide for the child and her, if necessary. He also has to be trustworthy and you can never really be sure about that; ultimately, it's a judgment call.

If she's able to withstand the cheaters, the womanizers, the liars and the abusers, she just might be fortunate enough, to fall in love with a man that loves her. Of course, that doesn't mean he's going to propose, and she can watch the rest of her youth pass by while she waits. Emotions may tie her to him, but in the end she'll do what's best for her. I can only imagine how much it must hurt, to know that the time with her love has run out.

If she's determined, strong and willing to compromise, a woman may be able to find a good husband. I suppose the tears that fall on her wedding day, are largely due to relief; a great weight is lifted off your shoulders, when you finally know what direction your life is headed in. When the worries and doubts have faded from memory, the day will come when she is blessed with pregnancy. If at first she is overjoyed, it doesn't take long for the fears to return and expand into terror.


Classic Movie Trailers - Rosemary's Baby (1968)


I'll never know what it feels like. If I stumble and fall, I only have to be concerned for myself. I won't ever know the kind of anxiety, that lingers between each kick from an unborn child. All I can try to do is understand.

With what I do know and from all I can tell, there isn't a worse hell on Earth than what Rosemary went through. An expecting mother is dependent upon support, from her family, her friends and her significant other. I wouldn't want to be put in a situation, where everyone is out to get me, especially when I'm at my most vulnerable. What do you do when there's nowhere to go, no one that will listen and no one to trust?

The uncertainty of the situation adds to the dread, which is amplified by the normalcy. In a different setting, with an all-too-familiar plot, you can watch a woman in danger and be disengaged. We've all seen the masked killer in the dark hallway. We know what those scenes look like and we know what to expect.

I didn't know what was coming in this film, and I was more frightened for that woman, than any other character in recent memory. We know what a normal pregnancy is and that's pretty far from what we got here. To see her host that party, in that horrible shape, was a surreal and dreadful experience I haven't found elsewhere. Every time she clutched her midsection I cringed, and every time she took a drink I wanted to snatch that glass from her hands.

I was the big brother that was watching off screen, powerless to stop what was happening. I couldn't be in the room to keep them from abusing her. I couldn't ride in and whisk her away. I listened while she told her doctor everything, and my head was in my hands. I finally knew what was going to happen, but even then I didn't want to believe it.

"Rosemary's Baby" defined the genre for me, in a way that I did not expect. It shows the abuse and violation, of a woman that cannot protect herself and yet, that's only half the story. As averse to that as I am, and as repugnant as I find that crime to be, the trap that she found herself in was just as bad. The deceit, the lies and the cruel manipulation, terrified me more than The Devil himself. Yes, the situation was fantastic, but the duality of human nature rang horribly true.

This is one of the best films of its time. It takes the terror from our nightmares and inserts it into our daily lives. For me personally, it reveals a vulnerability that I did not know existed. My instincts drive me to protect those in need, and a mother in distress makes me feel more than most.






---------------------------------------

@ChannelSeals


See "Rosemary's Baby" on Netflix!

No comments:

Post a Comment