Thursday, October 1, 2015

CMT Announcement #3 - Halloween Highlights Update!

The decision to cover Netflix movies, was the best call I've made for this blog to date. Millions of people already use the service and it's a cheap pass, to thousands of hours of content. Even though my essays stand on their own, the comments I write are intended to be "final thoughts". They are the unofficial "Afterword", that follows the last chapter

I believe firmly, that you'll enjoy the blog entries more, if you watch the movies beforehand. I also envision the future of "Classic Movie Trailers", to be that of an online movie club. Having said that, the Netflix association works, but I can't say that it's perfect. After all, there's no guarantee that they can keep the movie licenses.


YOINK!


I just announced "Night Of The Living Dead", as the subject of the next essay for Monday, October 5th. I watched it (again), decided on the focus of the companion piece and got to work on it. The next day I watched "Interview With the Vampire", which is another film I was planning to cover. Today I woke up and found that it had been removed from the service.



SCREAM!



"Night Of The Living Dead" was gone too. In a sudden panic, I checked My List to see if anything else was missing. To my dismay, "A Nightmare on Elm Street" was nowhere to be found. There was always a possibility, that one of the movies I chose for this month could vanish. Two would go missing if I was really unlucky, but three? Yikes.


HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO WORK.

I've been using Netflix for a while. Normally, when a movie or TV show is on it's way out, they will post the date on the introduction page. It'll say "Available until August 1st", or something like that. Unfortunately, they are not required to do that by law.

:)


SO, NOW WHAT?

There's still some good news to be had. Due to a distributor goof, way back in '68, "Night Of The Living Dead" is in the public domain. That means, you can see the movie for free on YouTube, Hulu and the Internet Archive. There is no piracy involved here; the film is public property and you can watch it without fear of breaking the law.

So that leaves the Interview and the Nightmare. Well, I said I was going to cover those movies, so that's what's going to happen. The only change is, instead of being posted on Mondays, those particular essays are going to be bonuses. They will be announced on Fridays, for a Wednesday release.


Get Tuned In (@ChannelSeals)


THE SHOW MUST GO ON.

So "Night" is still coming this Monday, on schedule. Again, it's free to watch that movie wherever you can find it, but YouTube is a great source. Go ahead and give it a look. It's actually creepier in black and white, so that's how I suggest you view it.

"Interview With The Vampire" is a pretty popular movie. I wouldn't be surprised if half of you reading this already own it. For those of you that don't, if you want to see it again, it's available on YouTube and Amazon Instant Video, for $2.99 USD. "A Nightmare on Elm Street" is also there and dag nabbit, I'm watching that movie regardless. Screw what Netflix says!

Taking their places in the schedule, you're going to see "The Omen" and "Wes Craven's New Nightmare". Those movies are certified fresh, on rottentomatoes.com. and the updated nightmare gives me a cool idea. I'm interested in Freddy Krueger at his scariest. So, the Wednesday before we look at "New Nightmare", I'll be covering the original film. 




FAREWELL TO THEMED?

I did a CMT theme month back in May. It featured all Dustin Hoffman movies and I really enjoyed it. All of them stayed on Netflix, so there was no problem there, and I finally had an excuse to watch "The Graduate". Overall, I think these kind of things are a blast. I can also see them being used for promotional purposes later, so they won't be going away.

In fact, I've got my eyes on Harrison Ford, for yet another theme month. Here's hoping that goes well. Until then, I'll keep you posted.



B.A.S.
October 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment