Monday, July 27, 2015

CMT - The Fly (1958)



The fear of failure is a crippling disability. It can pervade your life, halting all of your goals and ambitions. In response to that dreaded feeling, human beings respond in a number of different ways. We can dodge our initial plans and aim for something easier, or we can dive deeper into our work, with an alarming obsession.

Classic Movie Trailers - The Fly (1958)

To this date, I haven't worried about running out of commentary, in regards to the films that I've been watching. Every single picture is its own experience, and I react to each one in a different way. If ever there is any doubt beforehand, it melts when I finally sit down for a viewing. This time, as I watched the story unfold, I couldn't help but to be reminded of Frankenstein.

Mary Shelley's novel is one of my all time favorite books, and though I'd gladly mention it with any opportunity, this is a valid comparison. Consider a scientist on the brink of an amazing discovery. This man collapses into his trade and shuts the door on the outside world. Behind his feverish pace, he fears that his colleagues will misunderstand, or judge him harshly; nevertheless, he's on the brink of a success that will also lead to disaster.

The themes are the same. The outcomes of the stories are somewhat different, but the traits that Victor Frankenstein had are mirrored in Andre. I wouldn't be surprised if the former was an inspiration, for the creation of the latter and while contemplating that, I thought about the remake. There is another film called "The Fly", and that one may be more familiar to you.

It was released in 1986, with Jeff Goldblum at the top of the card, along with Geena Davis. Many years have passed since I have seen that film, but if I recall it correctly, it had some pretty gross special effects. I'd put it into the same category as John Carpenter's "The Thing", which was also, arguably a remake. Those two movies were chilling in their time, but I now find myself wondering, if fear is exactly what drove the productions.

If you take a moment to think about remakes, you may note that they represent a reduced risk, in the eyes of a movie studio. The production costs of films are quite high, so instead of banking on a new intellectual property, it makes a lot of sense to revive an old one. I will concede that perhaps it's also a service, and that remakes help keep great stories alive. Still, the skeptic in me can't help but question, whether or not they represent a lack of confidence.

I'll leave it up to you, to determine the answers, but before I close, allow me to make a suggestion. The "mad scientists" that I have grouped together, were both shy in regards to sharing their discoveries. They were horribly afraid of persecution, but they were also afraid that they wouldn't be believed. I think the best course of action, is to share your work with all of your loved ones. You'll have a better chance of support, access to crucial feedback, and a guard against a possible rush towards tragedy.



----------------------------
@ChannelSeals


See "The Fly" on Netflix!

No comments:

Post a Comment