Monday, July 13, 2015

CMT - Bloodsport



Most of us have at least one favorite film, that we've seen multiple times. In addition to that movie, there are those we've seen in the past, that are in regular TV rotation. Given the opportunity to see something for the fifth or sixth time, you may be surprised to notice small details, that you weren't aware of before. It's satisfying, to be able to point those out, and it's interesting to note how the passage of time influences what we see.

Classic Movie Trailers - Bloodsport (1988)

I can't tell you how many times I've seen this movie. I'm not saying that I've seen it dozens of times, I'm saying that I honestly don't know, how often I've sat down to watch it. "Bloodsport" was a big hit, back when Netflix wasn't a thing and HBO was the dominant source of entertainment.

It must have run on every channel that could possibly show it, and they must have shown it hundreds of thousands of times. If "Beverly Hills Cop II" and "Ghostbusters" wasn't on, I'd bet money that you could find Van Damme and Bolo Yeung, somewhere in the schedule. I don't think there's any question, that the majority of the people that are fans of this movie, never saw it in a movie theater. All you had to do was adjust the rabbit ears on the set, and you could watch the show again and again.

Personally, I don't ever think I've caught it at the beginning. Whenever it was on, I got to see it somewhere in the middle. Of course, I was also normally watching the "made for TV" cut, so there were plenty of changes done to reduce the violence and soften some of the language. While watching it again online, I was reminded about the obvious voice-over work, that's ubiquitous in old broadcast television.

It was then, that it hit me. I had never realized before, that they changed Chong Li's voice. It's a little embarrassing to admit this today, but I honestly didn't catch that until now. You would think that it might seem odd, for a man from China to sound like the leader of a biker gang. For some reason though I was fooled, and I have been a fool for years.

To be fair, Bolo wasn't the only one to lose his voice, and I did catch on to that fact before. There are at least two other actors in "Bloodsport", that had their dialogue replaced by other people. The practice is a lot more common than you may realize, and when it's done well you'd never expect it. Let's just say that there would be a lot more accents, and a lot more cringe-worthy performances, if the studios weren't allowed to change the sound.

After I had sufficient time to cope with my discovery, I took a few moments to think about what else I might have missed. Regarding this particular movie, I can report that an underlying theme involves the mindset, of professional fighters. Boxers, martial artists and people of that ilk, are largely misunderstood. They are driven by more than just money, and more than just some base need to beat down on an opponent.

If fighting is your trade, and that is a part of who you are, you need some test of skill. It isn't a craft that you can frame and put on a wall somewhere. There has to be some way to gauge how far you've come, and the only way to do that is to compete. If every one of them fought only when they had to, if every fighter simply taught in a school, I imagine there would be a lot of people living with regret.




-------------------------------------------
@ChannelSeals


See "Bloodsport" on Netflix!

No comments:

Post a Comment