Wednesday, July 9, 2014

CMT - Castle In The Sky

Classic Movie Trailers - “Castle in The Sky” (1986) [Not Recommended]


It’s much easier to pick out flaws and failures in a piece of art, than it is to create that art yourself. Criticism, when done professionally, is a craft of it’s own and there is merit to it. With so much entertainment available, someone has to guide consumers on how to best spend their hard-earned dollars. Still, storytellers and artists must be held in a higher regard, since their goals are so much harder to achieve and what they create is so much more valuable.

I respect the time and the Herculean effort put into animated films and “Castle in the Sky”, in particular. Unfortunately, the movie didn’t provide me with a good experience. The film’s length was my biggest issue; at 126 minutes, it felt like it was just over three hours. When you’re constantly checking your watch and waiting for the credits to roll, you are not having a good time watching a film and I wasn’t, when I revisited this part of my massive DVD collection.

The movie seemed to be too long, because there wasn’t enough story to justify the running time. The created world that this film presents is fantastic; the atmosphere, as shot is gorgeous and there are a lot of enjoyable moments with the characters. However, there was too much atmosphere, too many cute scenes and not enough plot. It’s like three servings of cotton candy, without the meat and potatoes. 

It also seemed to me, that the tone of the picture was somewhat confused. One villain seemed way too evil and malicious for the film as a whole. In one scene he actually made me cringe, by terrorizing a young girl with a loaded pistol. That's something I wouldn't expect to see in a film that, in many ways, reminds me of a Disney epic

I want to state clearly, that I am no movie critic. I started this feature as a vehicle, to share trailers of older movies my friends might enjoy and to practice writing. Given the nature of what I’m doing however, everything I say about these movies can’t be positive; that would be dishonest. Currently though, this film sits at 94% fresh, at rottentomatoes.com so hey, take what I’m telling you with a pinch of salt. 


Just don’t get salty!


@ChannelSeals

http://youtu.be/McM0_YHDm5A

No comments:

Post a Comment