Monday, October 3, 2016

CMT - Turner & Hooch



Recently I've been using this blog as an excuse, to sit down and watch movies that I hadn't seen in a long time. This film is no exception, and though I remembered it fondly, I'm glad I took the time to enjoy it once again. Still, there are only twenty-four hours in a day, and every choice we make has consequences. I missed the chance to experience something old and new to me, which is the only way to expand my grasp of history. 

I've heard the names of Laurel and Hardy dozens of times, but to my chagrin, I know very little about them. I've seen the "Who's on first" routine, by Abbott and Costello, but that's all I've seen of their work, and I know I'm missing out. Fortunately, when it comes to Penn & Teller I'm a little more knowledgeable; their double act is marked by the fact that one of them is mute. Presently, as I reflect on what I know of the pair, I'm confident in saying that they made a great choice. If one performer rambles on hilariously, the perfect straight man plays dumb, so it can continue. 

Obviously Hooch has that ability in spades, but he's a dog, so it's even more effective. Fiction spends a lot of time on human interactions, so any break from that norm is a rare treat. In this particular film we get to see another dynamic, which is relatable and very entertaining. As it turns out, we get more than love from our pets, who give us the room to be our dopey selves. 



Classic Movie Trailers – Turner and Hooch (1989) 


There are a handful of movies with canine costars, so animals have filled those roles before. With that said, many films that go that route, are never released theatrically, to a wide audience.  "Air Bud" and "Beethoven" are pretty good examples. They had a few adventures on the big-screen, and over a dozen that went straight to video. 

Never let it be said that the audience isn't there, but Tom Hanks was selling the tickets here. Back in '89 he was still talented, but he had a comedic timing that we don't see anymore. I have no doubt that he's still got it in him. I just think he hasn't been offered the same kinds of roles. 

Of course that's only natural, but back in the day, when he got mad onscreen it was glorious. I don't know what it was, or why it worked, but if he got worked up we couldn't stop laughing. As a straight man he was fantastic, and next to a straight man, he's even better here. Casting him as Turner was a master stroke, and that decision brought in seventy million. 

To be honest though, I can't give him all of the credit. Part of it was the strength of the story that was told. The narrative strikes a heavy cord with pet owners, but the rest of us aren't left far behind. If you've never had to deal with a destructive dog, I'm sure you've heard enough to appreciate those scenes. 

We're aware of the trials and we know about the troubles. We hear the barking late at night, from our neighbor's house next door.  Moreover, we can agree that after some time, the bonds that bind us to our friends makes us kin. You can't take care of and live with an animal, without it having a profound affect on your life. 

Additionally, the simple fact about human beings, is that we like to hear ourselves talk. Silence is golden for about 60 seconds, and then it's awkward from that point forward. So we fill the void with pleasantries. We yak about the weather and say almost anything.
  
Some of us are so eager to communicate, that we haven't learned proper listening skills. The rest of us aren't often put into a position, where we can bare our feelings without reproach. Pets do that for us, and in the process, we let out things we haven't told anyone. It's a wonderful release, and it just so happens, that there is comedic gold in those mines. "Turner & Hooch" takes full advantage of this, and the drooling hound dog is an added bonus. 

They call them "man's best friend" for a reason; and the reason is that other men aren't quiet enough. Animals express their feelings non-verbally, and sometimes that's all we really want. Our pets are children, brothers, sisters and pals. They're fantastic straight men and wonderful psychiatrists. 




------------------------------ 
@ChannelSeals 

See "Turner & Hooch" on Netflix! 



Next Week: John Travolta is a "Phenomenon" 

No comments:

Post a Comment